Oppression

Oppression

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Blog Entry #5
   

   With my motif being oppression throughout this project, I was easily able to find topics and articles that really got my attention. Something that I'm pretty into regarding oppression is the school dress codes. There are cases across the country and even other areas all over the world that discuss the sexism and breathtaking hypocrisy involved. One example of what schools consider "breaking the dress code" was pushed upon a Canadian girl named Lauren Wiggins who was punished by wearing a full-length maxi dress. Her teachers and administrators deemed it "inappropriate" and a "sexual distraction" to classmates. Lauren is now pushing to change the way school systems perceive and sexualize the bodies of their students.

     Another story comes from a young transgender student named Jeydon Loredo, who's yearbook photo was cropped out because he chose to wear a tuxedo. In the community he lives in, Jaydon's fem.-to-male transition had "been pretty chill", and he was accepted by his peers and parents. However, when he asked the principle for permission to wear a tux for the school photos, he said it "wouldn't be allowed". Jaydon's peers, friends, and family all spoke out and supported him on the issue, but the school board wouldn't budge. Unfortunately, school districts still seem to neglect the basic LGBTQ+ rights even today.

     I feel like these two stories really connect well to the section in TKAM where Scout is almost pressured by her Aunt Alexandera to start wearing dresses and acting more like a lady (pgs. 107-109). Scout feels that she should be able to wear what she wants, as her typical overalls or shorts are probably much more comfortable than an over-starched skirt. There is a quote on page 108 where Scout is hurt by her aunt's suggestions, which is as follows:
"I suggested that one could be a ray of sunshine in pants just as well, but Aunty said that one had to behave like a sunbeam, that I was born good but had grown progressively worse every year. She hurt my feelings and set my teeth permanently on edge, but when I asked Attucs about it, he said there were already enough sunbeams in the family and to go on about my business, he didn't mind me much the way I was." I actually really enjoy Atticus's reaction to Scout telling him this information, because it kinda shows how he loves her for who she is inside, and not just how she appears on the outside. 


















http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/14/opinion/the-battle-over-dress-codes.html?_r=0 

http://time.com/3892965/everydaysexism-school-dress-codes-rape-culture/


No comments:

Post a Comment